Welcome to the Association of Ontario Doulas
Our purpose is to:
Provide a public registry of trained doulas who abide by a clear Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics
Provide doulas with access to resources for doula training, continuing education and networking opportunities within the doula community
Educating the public, health care community and third party insurers as to the benefits of doula presence for new and expectant families
Providing professional guidance to doulas
For Our Members
Membership in Association of Ontario Doulas offers a number of advantages
- A network of doula peers across the province and informative meetings with doulas in your area
- A listing in the Association of Ontario Doulas Directory and Association of Ontario Doulas Referral Program
- Access to continuing education opportunities, Association of Ontario Doulas newsletters and updates
- Participation in the Association of Ontario Doulas Annual General Meeting, which often includes valuable workshop sessions
- $1 million each of commercial general and professional liability insurance, with options to purchase up to $5 million in coverage
- Packages start at $75!
For Expectant Families
What is a Doula?
A doula is someone who provides non-clinical support and care to a person (and her partner if applicable) during childbirth and the postpartum period. People have complex needs during childbirth.
In addition to the safety of modern obstetrical care, and the love and companionship provided by their partners, labouring people need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect. They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences. To this end, a doula works with a labouring person and her family, physicians, midwives and nurses with an aim to enhance communication and understanding.
With a Doula present, the pressure on the partner is also decreased, allowing participation at an optimum comfort level and increasing the enjoyment of the birth of the baby. Ideally, the Doula and the partner make the perfect support team, complementing each other’s strengths.