Welcome to the Association of Ontario Doulas
Objective: The Association of Ontario Doulas promotes the development of professional doulas from diverse backgrounds and experiences, and advocates for client-directed support in the province of Ontario.
The AOD’s primary goal is to strategize, mobilize, and advocate on the behalf of Ontario doulas and their clients.
- continuing education and support for professional doulas
- working to establish funding and access for professional doula support services
- providing professional guidance to doulas
- mobilizing strong internal and external community relationships and partnerships
For Our Members
Membership in Association of Ontario Doulas offers a number of advantages
- A network of doula peers across the province
- Certificate and badge of membership showing you are a registered member of the AOD
- A listing in the Association of Ontario Doulas Directory
- Access to continuing education opportunities, regular AOD newsletters, updates, and guidance
- Participation in the Association of Ontario Doulas Annual General Meeting and regular speakers events or workshops
- $1 million each of commercial general and professional liability insurance, with options to purchase up to $5 million in coverage
- Packages start at $76.95!
For Expectant Families
What is a Doula?
A doula is someone who provides non-clinical support and care to a person (and her partner if applicable) during childbirth and the postpartum period. People have complex needs during childbirth.
In addition to the safety of modern obstetrical care, and the love and companionship provided by their partners, labouring people need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect. They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences. To this end, a doula works with a labouring person and her family, physicians, midwives and nurses with an aim to enhance communication and understanding.
With a Doula present, the pressure on the partner is also decreased, allowing participation at an optimum comfort level and increasing the enjoyment of the birth of the baby. Ideally, the Doula and the partner make the perfect support team, complementing each other’s strengths.