Named in honour of Heather Mains and her life’s work, this award is presented at the DoulaCARE Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in October.
Award Criteria: a DoulaCARE member who has made an extraordinary contribution to positive birth in any one or more of the following areas:
- Providing exceptional Doula support, perhaps to a particular high needs population;
- Promoting and advancing birthing practices and/or facilities;
- Advancing and enhancing positive birth memories,
- Educating (course development or presentation) through community education (some examples may be elementary/secondary schools, colleges, multicultural, outreach etc) health professional education, in services, mentoring programs, collaborative projects etc;
- Researching (either involved in research project itself or in reviews)
- Writing: articles, letters, books, educational and promotional materials, academic course work;
- Advancing the Doula profession (specific education or program creation and implementation);
- Specific contribution to women’s health (in maternity programs) via policy change or program implementation (either provincial or national);
- DoulaCARE members may nominate Doulas who exemplify the spirit of the award.
- Nominees must be members in good standing with DoulaCARE
- The Awards Committee reviews the nominations.
- Recipients will be notified as soon as a decision has been determined.
- All decisions of DoulaCARE and the Awards Committee are final.
2008: Melissa Cowl
2009: Julia MacNeil
2010: Jennifer Elliott
2011: Michelle Hache
2012: Susan Martensen
2013: Rebecca Serroul
How to Submit Your Nomination:
- Nominations must be received by the Awards Committee Chair no later than September 15.
- The nomination essay must be no longer than 500 words and must include:
- Nominee’s name, address and phone number
- Your name, address and phone number
- Contact info for two additional references